Entertainment NewsSAG-AFTRA and Hollywood Studios Begin Contract Talks

SAG-AFTRA and Hollywood Studios Begin Contract Talks

Date:

SAG-AFTRA and the major Hollywood studios have concluded their first week of contract negotiations, meeting behind closed doors under a media blackout that has left little public indication of how far apart the two sides remain.

The actors union and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers wrapped Friday’s session early in the afternoon, according to a person familiar with the schedule, and are expected to resume talks next week.

Both SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP declined to comment, consistent with an agreement reached at the start of negotiations to limit public statements during bargaining.

The talks, which began Feb. 9, are the first major round of negotiations between performers and studios since the 2023 labor standoff that shut down most film and television production for months. This year’s discussions are unfolding as the entertainment industry continues to contract, with studios producing fewer projects, streamers tightening budgets and many workers reporting a steep decline in employment.

While neither side has publicly outlined its demands, union leaders have said the bargaining cycle is expected to focus heavily on healthcare and pension funding, which has come under pressure across the industry as employment has fallen and costs have risen.

Artificial intelligence is also expected to remain a central issue. SAG-AFTRA secured a set of initial protections in its 2023 contract aimed at limiting the unauthorized use of performers’ digital likenesses. Union officials have indicated they intend to build on those provisions, while also seeking improvements to streaming residuals, which many actors argue have not kept pace with the shift away from traditional television.

SAG-AFTRA’s national executive director, Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, has said the union is not ruling out a strike if it cannot reach an agreement. “We are not going to accept a deal that is not fair to our members,” he said last month during an appearance at the Consumer Electronics Show.

The union’s current contract expires June 30. Negotiations by the Writers Guild of America are expected to begin March 6, followed by the Directors Guild of America in May — a calendar that could shape how quickly SAG-AFTRA and the studios seek to reach a deal.

Other guilds have largely remained quiet since talks began, though the DGA issued a statement of support on Monday.

“The Directors Guild of America stands in solidarity with SAG-AFTRA as they begin negotiations with the AMPTP,” the guild said. “Directors, directorial teams, performers, and all creative workers share a common goal to secure fair compensation, world-class retirement and health benefits, meaningful workplace protections, sustainable careers, and a future in which all our contributions are respected and valued.”

spot_img
Jonathan Browne
Jonathan Brownehttps://www.projectcasting.com
Jonathan Browne is the dynamic CEO and Founder of Project Casting, a pioneering platform in the entertainment industry that bridges the gap between talent and production companies. With a rich background in business development and digital marketing, Jonathan has been instrumental in revolutionizing the casting process, making it more accessible and efficient for both aspiring talents and seasoned professionals.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!

More like this
Related

How to Get Cast in NBC’s ‘Chicago Fire’ Season 14

Chicago Fire Season 14 Renewed: New Faces, Cast Exits,...

Margot Robbie’s Pirates of the Caribbean 6 Casting Teased by Producer

Key Takeaways Pirates of the Caribbean 6 is officially in...

Steven Spielberg Donates $25K to Van Der Beek Fund

Key Takeaways Steven Spielberg donated $25,000 to James Van Der...

Stranger Things Broadway Prequel Heads to Netflix

Takeaways Netflix is filming Stranger Things: The First Shadow for...